Thursday, June 11, 2009

Portraits


Yousuf Karsh

Ernest Hemmingway


Audrey Hepburn


Mother T.

Richard Avedon

Truman Capote



Andy Warhol



Marilyn Monroe


I just started a summer workshop at smfa for digital/darkroom b&w photography. Yes, I went to school for photography and graduated somewhat recently but I'm rusty and my Dad is paying for it. Anyhow, I got there thinking it was going to be an advanced class but apparently, due to minimal interest in the class, the foundation and advanced classes were combined except I was one of two who signed up for advanced so it was essentially a beginner's class. and she was like "yeah this isn't a digital class I don't know why they keep putting that in the course description". I was really steamed at first but then the teacher said she would add a 4hr workshop in the digital studio and basically answer all of my questions and help me figure out how to make a sweet portfolio so its not so bad after all. We've only had two classes and we've spent half the time talking about super obvi beginner stuff and the other half looking at slides and discussing. I don't know whats fucking wrong with me but when we look at them, especially pictures that I'm really familiar with, I have to be all "When Sally Mann took this photo, she told her daughter to have a look of wordly sophistication and isn't it incredible how well they communicated? Her daughter is a wonderfull subject. Observe her piercing eyes!" And then someone will disagree with me cuz I sound like such an asshole and then I'll feel stupid for trying to impress people whose opinions shouldn't matter/trying to impress people in general.

the pics above are some of my favorite famous portraits which I forgot about until we started looking at slides etcc. They are probably the photographers I rip off the most.

3 comments:

murf said...

i wanna be in your photography class.

i think you should take pictures of all of them.

for "sheer torture's" sake

Caroline Eve said...

hahahahaha I miss you

Caroline said...

karsh rules!